Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Blog Assignment #2

1. Were the questions on the Moral Sense Test difficult to answer (psychologically, emotionally, conceptually, technically, etc.)? Why or why not? Do you think your responses to the Moral Sense Test questions were consistent? Does this matter?

I did not think it was difficult at all to answer the questions from the Moral Sense Test (MST). Most dealt with material over physical issues and was easy to decide which was more important. I think most of answers were consistent and I think staying consistent proves that you follow a certain set of ideals and morals you have whether you consider them as correct or incorrect is up for debate but sticking to how you feel is better than always changing what you believe in at least in my opinion.

2. Should people always follow the law? Why or why not? When might one be justified in NOT following the law? Give examples.

I think people should always follow the law. They were put there and decided on to help keep you safe for a reason and what makes you different from any other person who lives in this society to not follow the law? A justified case may be speeding to get an injured person to the hospital or defending yourself in a deadly situation which you may consider legal or not. I would say if your life or someone you cared about life's depended on you breaking the law or not I would break it.

3. In your own words, explain what "social convention" means. Give examples.

I would describe "social convention" as the understanding of unwritten laws or basic understandings of how things in a given society operate blindly. A couple examples would be normally people who like to speed or drive faster than normal are in the left where slower traffic usually stays to the right lane. Most men open doors for women or allow to precede things before them even if they were to arrive earlier say to a door or waiting on an elevator.

4. Should people always follow the conventions of their society? Why or why not? Give examples.

I don't think people should always follow the conventions of their society because then everything becomes to confertable and change never happens. Now I don't think changing for changes sake is a good idea but amazing things come from people challenging the conventions of the time. I mean our country was founded by challenging the conventions of the Brittish. Also, I personally am not a big fan of the standard 9-5 work schedule, I believe in the much more less conventional goal oriented work time. You recieve a goal to do and work as many hours you need to get it done to the specifications if that means 3 hours 1 day, 12 the next and 8 the following than you can take off the rest of the days than so be it. On the flip side if you have to work 60 hours instead of 40 that also has be to done as well.

5. Should people always follow their own principles? Why or why not? Give examples.

I think you should always follow your principles or what is even the point of having them, wouldn't make very much sense if you asked me. Now I think principles can change over time but that is different than not blantantly not following them. Some examples of principles would be if I decided to believe in any religion that is a principle you have made to go to church/mass/temple/mosque or any other form of prayer or respect for that religion of choosing. Saying you are something and then not actually following what you say is not something that would make sense.

6. Explain in your own words the difference between socially acceptable, legally acceptable, and morally acceptable.

Socially acceptable means that you do things that people will accept whether law breaking or not, some people would could consider underage drinking socially acceptable. Legally acceptable would mean that you accept things that are law abiding and not breaking it in any way. Morally acceptable would be based on accepting things based on your morals like abortion or the death penalty would be examples.

7. Out of 25 points, how many points do you feel your work on this assignment deserves? Justify your answer.

I guess I got mine up late by 20 minutes cause I thought I had submitted before I went did things so I would deserve only 0 points but I am going to post anyways since I spent all the time writing this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment